Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Adventures in cake making....

Don't worry if you are a Spork fan, they will be back soon, but this post is not a Spork post. This post is about my foray into the world of cake making. Let me preface this with a couple facts. The first being, I am a food network junkie. The second that I pretty much think that I can do much anything I try. In this particular case I decided that it wouldn't be a big deal at all to carve and decorate a ginormous birthday cake shaped like an electric guitar. Now being a food network junkie I have watched countless episodes of Ace of Cakes and Food Network cake decorating challenge, so of course I am practically an expert. Who cares that I've never decorated a cake before? They do it on tv, it must be easy right?? Needless to say it wasn't as easy as I had imagined it would be in my head, but all in all I think it turned out pretty well. Here is how it went down.......


My blank canvas


the template I had was too small so I had to wing the shape of the guitar. It was at this point I realized that I had nothing large enough to put this cake on. Fortunately the home depot is right around the corner and after a quick stop to the scrap bin we had a nice makeshift cake board for the bargain price of 51 cents!








After approximately 6 hours of work my masterpiece is finished!



All in all I think the cake turned out pretty darn cute. I guess in this case my confidence in myself wasn't misplaced!

2 comments:

  1. That cake is amazing! Dang! I am rather impressed. You should go pro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling cake! I'm sure the birthday girl loved it! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete